Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Aubree Fit

Aubree and I had denist appointments this morning. She did great at having her teeth cleaned - a major improvement!! So, I thought all was well in denist land today. HA! HA! says Aubree!!

Aubree picked out her little ring while the dental hygenist (AKA the denist's wife) prepared for me. All went along fine until Aubree decided she wanted the 'oval ring' instead of the ring she picked out. Needless to say, I'm not in the position to be talking very much. I told her that we were not discussing it right then. (Note: I did not say she could not ask and see if it was OK to trade it when I was finished.) Well, the girl had a 2 year old temper tantrum right then and there.

A million things went through my mind: I'm so embarassed that she is acting like this (this is a reflection of my parenting skills), If I get my hands on her...., What do I do??? She did not stop when I calmly spoke to her. I finally asked if I could sit up. Aubree came to me and I calmly whispered 'consequences' to her behavior. She seemed shocked at the consequences and wanted to argue about them. We finished the appointment and came home for the consequences as well as a discussion on appropriate behavior and how much we need Jesus to help us.

As I reflect on this situation through the day, I am reminded of God's love for me and my love for Aubree. I was really upset over her actions; God is seriously grieved by my sin. It's easy for me to forget the consequences of my sin when I'm not in His Word daily. Aubree needs love and direction constantly - even when I think I'm done for that moment. Those many things I never believed when my parents said them, I understand now. Having to take care of the consequences hurt both of us, but necessary for her to learn. God's disciplines hurt but make us stronger for Him. And as Christmas is closer and closer, I remember how precious of a baby Aubree was and can only imagine the preciousness of the Baby Jesus who came to die for my sins. I'm so thankful for His love and forgiveness.

1 comment:

Sheila said...

Perfect post! :o) And a great reminder

(especially as my little one nears ever closer to the dreaded TWO!)